Lawrence M. Walsh
The National Weather Service is predicting a heat wave for the area Thursday, July 21, through Saturday, July 23. Temperatures are expected to climb into the mid to upper 90s, with a heat index of 103 to 112.
The Will County Emergency Management Agency encourages residents who are homeless or do not have air conditioning during extreme heat to:
- Consider relocating to a friend or relative’s residence;
- Visit malls, movie theaters, libraries, and other similar facilities open to the public for reasonable lengths of time;
- Look for a cooling center that may already be in operation. Call ahead to ensure the facility is open.
Residents are also encouraged to:
- Dress appropriately for the conditions;
- During extreme heat conditions, take showers, keep hydrated, close curtains/shades, and open windows;
- Avoid all unnecessary outdoor activities.
More information on extreme heat can be located at: