We WILL Build
Equal Opportunity Housing and Communities
America is a growing and diverse nation. Meeting its housing needs will require equally diverse options. The strongest communities incorporate a mix of housing types because they understand that a diversified housing stock, like any stock, has less risk than a concentrated portfolio of any one type of housing. The mission of Community Development is to expand the range of opportunities for all by collaborating and advocating for opportunities, options and diversity in housing stock throughout Will County.
Housing is at the heart of it all. Housing does more than provide shelter. It provides stability, economic means, dignity, family ties and ultimately strengthens communities. Housing diversity in a community helps prevent homelessness, permits elderly community resident’s to age in place, helps divorced parents stay in close proximity to their kids, allows for young adults to leave their parent’s basements, prepares young families for establishing roots and enables established families to raise engaged future citizens.
Join us on this quest to balance housing stock with housing needs in Will County by engaging in the conversation.
Fair Housing Study
In January of 2018, Will County, the City of Joliet and the Housing Authority of Joliet came together to jointly assess Fair Housing conditions in Will County. Applied Real Estate Analysis, Inc. (AREA) was selected to conduct the study. Citizen participation is key to the sucess of the study and several engagement opportunities are planned and more will be added as information is made available. Check back here often and connect with us on Facebook @buildwillcounty for updates.
- February 21, 2019 | 2:00-3:00p.m. | Fair Housing & Civic Engagement Training | Chicago Area Fair Housing Alliance & South Suburban Housing Center | Joliet Public Library, Ottawa Street Branch
- March 15, 2019 | 10:00-3:00 | Homelessness & Housing Advocacy Luncheon | Fair Housing Roundtable with AREA | Romeoville Recreation Center
- April - Fair Housing Month
- April 26, 2019 | 10:00-12:00 | Real Estate Professionals Luncheon | Fair Housing Roundtable with AREA | Three Rivers Association of Realtors
- May - Public hearing on Will County CDBG/HOME Consortium funding
- August/September - Public comment period for the study