Overweight permits for containerized grain are issued as follows:
- Maximum weight 88,000 lbs. gross on 5-axles;
- Valid for one (1) day single trip;
- One (1) permit required per container;
- For a fee of $20.00 per permit;
- Prior to approval of the permit by the Department of Highways, each carrier shall complete on the permit the truck license number that said permit is to be used for and the permit's effective date
Containerized grain permits to UP G4 - must use the most direct route. If Laraway Rd to Patterson Rd/Centerpoint Way is the most direct route, contact UP Railroad for written agreement to make a U-turn on Centerpoint Way and then contact City of Joliet for permits. If I-55 to Arsenal Rd (CH 17) to Baseline Rd/ Centerpoint Way is most direct route, contact Will County DOT, Village of Elwood, and City of Joliet for permits.
Note regarding jurisdiction: Baseline Rd from Arsenal Rd (CH 17) north to Noel Rd is the jurisdiction of Village of Elwood and has recently been renamed Elwood International Port Rd – Baseline Rd from Noel Rd to Centerpoint Way is the jurisdiction of City of Joliet - Centerpoint Way to the UP G4 is a private road, permits not required.
Containerized grain permits to BNLPC – must use I-55 to Arsenal Rd (CH 17) to Baseline Rd/Elwood International Port Rd for ALL movements, contact Will County DOT and Village of Elwood for permits.